Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Blog 13-sample 4 short analysis

4 of the 19 teacher comments started out with the words "I'm not sure". A great deal of the rest of them are peppered with language  like I feel like or My gut tells me or I wonder if.  I understand the reasoning behinfd this language, and appreciate it, but in a case where something is out of place or simply illogical, I'd rather be told so directly. Here's my question:

Is it always ideal to use this soft (for lack of a better word) style of feedback? I mean, what things need to be said more directly, and to which kind of students? Are there guidlines to guide severity of comments.

This is the first time I have read all of the comments before reading the closing paragraphs at the end. What I noticed reading the comments in order right way was that though they may appear so visually, the comments are not entirely isolated, in fact, some of them build off of each other, and many serve similar purposes. An example of this is how many of the comments talk about mentioning information earlier in the paper.

As far as the content of the comments, some are positive and the others do all they can to not be negative haha. Comment 16 is especially funny.


"I’m not sure I see how these sentences fit into this part of the project.  Maybe they would work better earlier?"
This comment in particular is one that really prompted my research question, because, in my  opinion, it seems like the first sentence in the comment is all that is needed, or just the second sentence, but definitely not both.  In my opinion to say both is redundant. If I know that my reader does not see a logical connection, I know that I have to either:
a. Change the sentence or tweak my project so that the reader understands what I mean to convey or
b. Take it out of that section
Here, I feel that the instructor is trying to be nice by leaving the comment open-ended. Personally, what made me interested in pursuing writing was a teacher whose comments were austere and unforgiving, and I understand many people who be de-railed by this, but I would upper level writers wo already know they are competent, even good writers be de-railed? Perhaps some, but I think a large number woud not.
To my disappointment, The whole message of the teachers comments could only be realized if one read both the parenthetical comments and the final paragraph comment at the end. This comes as a disappointment because I usually only read the end comment. Still, in this example, the teacher directly stated for the student to reference the individual ones, which may not be the case with other professors.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment