Thursday, February 7, 2013

Blog 5

I have been really considering doing an ethnographic study on members in my church congregation, as I have realized in the last few years, how we use our own lexis. it is a Christian church so things such as goals will be pretty standard compared to other congregations, but specifically, African-Ammerican churches have a unique way of expressing these goals. I also figure that because I am apart of this community, I'll have easy access.

For one, I know I'll want to do some observation- probably in my church's fellowship hall, where I can observe members talking casually. Doing this, I think I'll be able to get a feel for how members intertwine community values in their personal lives, and more importantly, how the communicate this with each other.  Another good observation scenario would be a prayer meeting, as members have place to openly testify at these services.

Second, I'll want to interview at least two people. Interviewing will give me inside information that mere observation will not, and I want to have as much information as possible.

Third, I want to look at two texts that are important to the community.  First, I'll take a look at some of the groups go-to scriptures in their most important text- the Bible- and key in exactly where they get certain values. Next, I'll look at the church weekly program ( I have almost a dozen of them probably just in my room) and analyze that.

No comments:

Post a Comment