Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Blog 6

I do not think that our classroom in and of itself is a Discourse community. I do, however, think that it is a piece of a discourse community inside another discourse community. The piece of the community being the community of English majors on the campus of Kean University; and that discourse community being a part of the larger Kean university Discourse community.

Kean University is a discourse community because it clearly has a lot more than two people in the community, it has its own lexis, such as 'UC', 'UC caf', 'cougar den', and so on. This also apply to different proffessors that students may talk about. This is a strong part, I believe in the lexis of the Discourse community of English majors. For example, I may say to another upper-class English major that I have Chandler for 3080. Because I know he is a part of the same community as I am, I assume that he knows what 3080 is, or at least has heard about it, as he probably is close to graduation and has looked at his dcp more tha once.

No comments:

Post a Comment